Since last two years SEP is promoting plantation of medicinal plants which can be used as home remedies and healthy leaving. About 60 such varieties have been identified, that can be grown in urban environment. In 2007 SEP did plantation at Trimandir Campus, Adalaj and Behera Munga School, Ahmedabad. One day event was organized at behra munga school, where we set up an exhibition on use of medicinal plants, experts from the field were invited to talk about use of these plants. Students performed a small cultural program followed by plantation. Each student planted a tree. School took the responsibility to manage.
In 2008 SEP developed a medicinal park on Gujarat University Campus. About 2000 medicinal plants were planted. Similarly at kesar Sal Hospital campus 1000 medicinal plants have been planted. Both the year plantation program was supported by Mahindra Finance.
EcoSarjan has a specialized focus on Waste R & D. The focus is to see “Waste” as “unused resource” and work on ways to utilized the same. To further this specific agenda, it has partnered with various professional organizations which are as below:
EcoSarjan in partnership with Concept BioTech – works on composting and vermicomposting of Domestic and Industrial Non-Toxic waste.
EcoSarjan in partnership with Kesarjan Building Centre Pvt. Limited – works on Construction and Demolition Waste. The technology is mastered and various building products are being made using C & D waste. Technology partner for the research in Kesarjan Building Centre Pvt. Limited.
EcoSarjan has a in house division, working on E-waste. The team of researcher and experts are presently doing various base study in the sector of the E-waste under EMAC campaign.
ETP Operators and Supervisors Workshop Series
With the growing industrialization, in the last decade, Gujarat too has seen a multifold growth. Many new industries have come in. With the growth always comes the responsibility of equitable development. With the developing industries, the GPCB norms have too become stringent. There are various provisions including CETP in place so as to control pollution. It is also observed that, in Gujarat, there are many industries which have small primary or secondary etp plants. We have observed that; most of these etps are run by very low skill operators and supervisor which hardly have any formal education in the subject. Most of them have learnt the tricks of the trade in the field or by practical exposure. It was felt that; there is an urgent need to conduct an orientation program for these operators.
To take process further, a meeting was done with Chairman and Member Secretary, GPCB. Their guidance and mentorship to the idea laid the foundation stone of the ETP operators and Supervisors Training workshop series. It was suggested that a pilot can be done from Ahmedabad Industrial Associations.
To further strengthen our observation, discussions were done with industrial association, and they too readily agreed to such a need and expressed their willingness to support and participate actively in such program. Based on these observations and discussion, a brief training program specifically targeting the Etp operators and supervisors; the one which are actually looking after day to day operations of Etp, was worked out. The course was coordinated by Shri S. M. Jha; Retd. Sr. Scientist- GPCB.
The success of first 3 programs in Ahmedabad with NEPL, GREEN and ATPA associations paved the way further to upscale and continue such programs across all the major Estates of Gujarat. It was decided that EcoSarjan and regional offices of GPCB should repeat the model in partnership with respective industrial associations across state. Till December 2012 programs 8 programs where done across state.
Ewaste Management and Awareness Campaign (EMAC)
E waste is one of the growing concerns of the coming times. As per one of the estimates of UNEP ewaste is to grow 500% in coming decade. Today, mostly all our houses have one or other items of ewaste and we yet don’t have a specific system which allows us to dispose it safely. It is a well known fact that ewaste contains many hazardous elements and gases including heavy metals which if not disposed off scientifically and safely; will pollute air, water and ground.
Society for Environment Protection (SEP) through its EcoSarjan project is been working on the issue of Ewaste since 2009. It has evolved a comprehensive plan for Ewaste management and awareness campaign (EMAC) for Gujarat.
Ewaste Management and Awreness Campaign (EMAC) is a campaign by EcoSarjan so as to not only help ewaste collection but evolve models which can in the first place reduce ewaste. As one of the elements of the larger plan, it has started actual ewaste collection drive for Gujarat.
The drive was launched in Baroda, as a part of BITA event held between 17th to 19th Feb 2012. As a part of the campaign the drive collected about 4 tons of ewaste in just 3 days of the event. The post launch even today we have been buzy handling large chunk of ewaste from Baroda and other parts of Gujarat. The sole purpose of the campaign is to help evolve a collection system and ensure that the ewaste thus collected is disposed off scientifically as per the E waste Management and Handling Rule 2011.
EMAC then did collection drive with couple of leading industrial associations like Naroda and Vatva in Gujarat. It also launch a Gujarat level Ewaste help line number i.e. 9998478741. A ewaste depositor can call on the number and seek guidance on ewaste collection and also schedule his collection or deposit time.
To further this initiative, EcoSarjan through its EMAC campaign ensures that ewaste depositor gets his due share of valuation for the ewaste which it deposits. We, at EcoSarjan believes that the fact that ewaste depositor is giving waste to a formal chain of recycler is more important and he should not be deprived of his basic valuation for the Ewaste which he is depositing. We have, based on the market survey and our own valuation, worked out a standard rate card for range of Ewaste item.
To further source of encouragement, especially for corporate and those who wants, we also give SAFE disposal certificate (by GPCB authorized agency) with serial number of your product. This can help corporate to even fulfill their audit and return formalities. EMAC has tied up with Ecoli Waste management private limited, which is a GPCB authorized recycler.
The sole purpose of the EcoSarjan ewaste campaign called EMAC is to evolve a system which is one of the best model for collection of Ewaste in India in such a way that the model is equitable and replicable.
For the corporate and those who have bulk ewaste can contact in advance and we can do evaluation at their premises. To us the bulk ewaste means atleast 1 ton or more than a ton of ewaste.
As per recent Ewaste management and Handling rule, anybody who handles ewaste has to be registered with State Pollution Control Board. Any company or individual is not authorized to sell ewaste to an unauthorized representative.
EMAC campaign has successfully launched its first step of Ewaste collection system. Presently, it is doing a survey of the kabaddi wala’s so as to evolve a model of an inclusive growth.
We as a part of a campaign also register and collect old working PCs and then further donate it to rural based SHGs, students for free. EMAC has an MoU for this with FITAG for refurbishing the old system and then donating it with a maintenance support if required.
“Eco-Sarjan” is a word which is a formation of two key words. One is “Eco” which stands for Ecosystem friendly or in simple words what ever which is green and sustainable in nature. “Sarjan” is a Gujarati word meaning Creation. Hence in short Eco-Sarjan is about every creation which is Eco system friendly or Sustainable in Nature.
Eco-Sarjan is a platform initiated by Society for Environment Protection (SEP) since 2009.
Our Core Philosophy
Eco-Sarjan is a platform which promotes “Eco friendly Disaster resilient Habitat”. Today, globally there has been key thrust in two major sectors a) Eco-friendly i.e. all green, climatically safe, carbon reducing efforts; different name but all targeting to same cause of taking a step towards protecting and conserving “Eco-system” at large. Second major sector is b) climate change and Disaster reduction. Range of initiatives are been taken globally to combat climate change and reduce Disasters. Infect most of the recent disasters are product of climate change and global in-balance in the eco-system.
At Eco-Sarjan we want to bridge these two key sectors. We believe that they are not two sectors but are integrated and approaching them jointly will help derive better workable solutions. Our focus is to create a common platform which is
- Which is democratic and transparent in nature
- Scientific in nature and its actions
- Which is multi-disciplinary at its base so as to bring that “wholestic objectivity”
- Which talks about applied science and actions which are tangible
- Which processes and provides information in a format which is easily comprehended by a common person
- Which initiates, supports, advocates concerns overlooked at times due to lack of “political or economical will”
- Which evolves and strengthen systematic tangible solutions and not “media campaigns”
Major Projects by EcoSarjan
- As a part of launch of EcoSarjan two national conferences where planned in partnership with Forests and Environment Department, GoG and Gujarat Pollution control board.They were
1) National conference on Bio remediation of Polluted Sites
2) National Conference on Solid Waste and Waste water management
- In 2010 EcoSarjan did a mega exhibition exclusively on Clean and Green Technology. All major leading industries of Gujarat participated in the event showcasing their cleaner production technologies or their Green endeavors. The entire event was done in partnership with Forests and Environment Department, GoG and Gujarat Pollution control board (GPCB). The event was also acknowledged and supported by GEDA (Gujarat Energy Development Agency), AUDA (Ahmedabad Urban Development Authority), GICEA (Gujarat Institute of Civil Engineers and Architect, FITAG, Nirma University and many others.
- As a part of event, two national level conference were organized :
- E Waste management and Handling for Sustainable cities and
- Green Buildings – A step to Sustainable Societies.
The complete event information is available at www.ecosarjan.net
- Apart from this EcoSarjan initiated a best Green Belt competition for the Large and Medium/Small industries. The purpose of the competition was to create a positive wave for developing a good green belt and give an award to the industry who does the best initiating a healthy competition between the industries for improving their Green Belts. It also, helped collect the various detail information about each industries Green Cover and its bio-diversity. The award for the competition were given by H’ble Chief Minister of Gujarat, making it a prestigious award which industry looks forward to get.
- EcoSarjan in partnership with GPCB and respective industrial associations is conducting ETP operators and Supervisors workshop series across all the major estates of Gujarat. Seven such workshops have all ready been conducted across all major estates between Ahmedabad and Surat. Planning for other estates is in process. It is also developing an ETP operators and supervisors manual and SOP
- EcoSarjan along with Department of Employment and Training (DoET), GPCB and various industrial association, is developing various environmental courses for state ITI which includes 1 year and 3 months short term courses. They will be introduce into the ITI the end of this year (2012) or beginning of next year.
- EcoSarjan in partnership with various players in ewaste sector has launched a comprehensive program on ewaste awareness and equitable management for Gujarat called EMAC and also runs ewaste collection helpline number for Gujarat.
- Apart from above, EcoSarjan works on variety of awareness activity with industries and state pollution control board with reference to Ozone day, World Environment day, Medicinal plantation, Ecofriendly holy and Ganesh utsav, etc ; so as to promote a sustainable life style and society. These programs covers both industries and youths from various colleges of Gujarat.
For any further information on EcoSarjan do visit www.ecosarjan.net