A multidisciplinary approach to bring holistic view for a sustainable development is the foundation stone of SEP.
Initiatives in Habitat Development (IHD) is the housing and habitat development division of Society for Environment Protection (SEP).
IHD has a diverse in house strength in Architectural and structural design, building construction, alternate and appropriate construction technologies, retrofitting, Engineers and Masons training, etc. IHD team has also worked on enterprise development trainings in building material.
Major focus areas of IHD-SEP are:
- Innovating on various area suitable appropriate cost effective building technology and thus make a process of reconstruction (in emergency), a process into sustainable development.
- Providing socio-technical and monitoring support to various INGO’s, NGO’s and GO’s for post emergency reconstruction processes. These includes right from; helping design the rehabilitation strategy in the field of housing to proposal scrutiny, capacity building at various level, periodic monitoring or even implementation in some special cases.
- Conduct studies into the socio-cultural factors of habitat development and promote the same in to reconstruction and Habitat planning in General.
- To provide support in developing area suitable architectural design, habitat layouts, system design (MIS), construction trainings into various alternate technologies, enterprise and entrepreneur development, IEC, etc.
- Apart from emergencies, IHD-SEP also has its focus into developmental studies, research and system formation for housing and habitat which can either fit into general development, advocacy or disaster preparedness.
- Disaster preparedness and mitigation at large.
With its diverse and strong experience of Gujarat Earthquake rehabilitation, IHD-SEP was also actively involved in Tsunami rehabilitation project inSouth India. Being active in the region from March ’05 till March ‘08, IHD worked for Tsunami Rehabilitation in Tamilnadu, Pondycherry, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh andAndmanIslands. It was also among one of the few organizations in the region to work on Retrofitting.
Glimpses of Major projects and partners :
- IHD-SEP is the lead consulting agency for BMTPC project on “ Design package of 60 Units, a school and a community centre with Appropriate Cost Effective Technologies for West zone (Gujarat) and the South zone (Tamilnadu).
- IHD-SEP was the lead organization in Gujarat to organize Engineers training with UNDP and GSDMA under Disaster Risk Reduction Program. It organized 5 days residential training for 3 cities of Gujarat i.e. Jungadh, Jamnagar and Rajkot.
- IHD-SEP is supporting (or supported) various NGO’s and INGO’s for technical support and monitoring in their Tsunami Response Program in Andhra, TN and Andaman which includes Action Aid India – International, Care India, Save the Children Fund and Catholic Relief Services (CRS).
- IHD-SEP was the lead agency for Nagapattinam collectorate working as Shelter Support Group for monitoring and supporting the reconstruction for the whole Nagapattinam District, in Tamil Nadu. It does periodic monitoring of all the reconstruction sites on behalf of District Authority and suggest (if need be) recommendations for intervention.
- IHD-SEP was also involved with UNDP in conducting various Engineers and masons trainings both in Gujarat and Tamil Nadu.
- IHD-SEP with support from UNDP constructed Retrofitting Technology Demonstration Unit (RTDU) all across Tamil Nadu and Kerala. In the process about 400 artisans were trained in 5 days hands-on training into Retrofitting.
- IHD-SEP prepared a manual on “Retrofitting of Non-Engineered Structures” for UNDP and GoTN.
- IHD-SEP was involved with scientific analysis of about 700 houses which includes NDT and stability analysis of newly constructed Tsunami houses. Based on the investigation the retrofit was designed and submitted. The Project was in Nagapattinam District of Tamil Nadu.
- IHD-SEP with the support of IAG (Inter Agency Group) initiated a process of GO-NGO Preparedness and Coordination cell at Baroda city for Flood Preparedness.
- IHD-SEP has initiated a School safety Program covering about 30 schools in Ahmedabad. The program in its first phase is focusing on Non – Structural mitigation and preparedness measures. Similar programs for schools of special children and for Safe Hospitals are under preparatory phase.
- IHD-SEP along with Kesarjan Building Centre Pvt. Ltd. is working on conducting hands on Mason Training program. The project is supported by BMTPC.
- IHD-SEP along with Kesarjan Building Centre Pvt. Ltd. has started a mason association and online data base of trained masons. The database will soon have all the resources for the masons.
IHD-SEP updated the “Disaster Resistant Construction Practice” handbook for Govt. of Tamil Nadu and UNDP.
IHD-SEP worked with UNDP and GoTN for developing a Manual on “Retrofitting of Non-Engineered Structures”
IHD-SEP is presently developing few more manuals with BMTPC in both Hindi and English languages.
IHD-SEP is presently developing draft code and manual with BMTPC on Filler slab and Rat Trap bond masonry technique.